Thursday, January 19, 2012

One Dream Fulfilled--Meyer Lemon Pudding Cake

With one willing assistant and one willing napper, I set to work on those Meyer lemons this morning! 
Here's the deal with the special lemons.  I tore out a recipe for Meyer lemon cakes a few years ago.  I wanted to make them shortly after, but then I found out that not even the local "big" grocery store had the Meyer lemons it called for.  (They are a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange, so a usual lemon just wouldn't do!)  When I came across a bag of these the other day, I just had to buy them!  They weren't even that expensive.  And--aren't they just so pretty?
 
Instead of making the individual cakes from the original recipe I had intended to try, I used a recipe on the bag of lemons for one larger cake. 
Learn from my mistakes and look ahead in the recipe.  It will make this much easier! 
Pour the milk ahead of time to make it room temperature and do the same for the eggs so the whites cooperate better.  Also, melt the butter first so it can cool before you need it.

Meyer Lemon Pudding Cake
3 Meyer lemons
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs, separated
1 cup whole milk at room temperature
4 T butter, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 300 and butter an 8x8 baking dish.  Grate 2 tsp zest and then squeeze 1/3 cup juice from 3 lemons.  Set aside.
Combine dry ingredients.  Whish together yolks, milk, butter, zest, and juice.  Add to dry ingredients and whisk to combine.  Beat eggs whites until soft peaks form.  Stir 1/3 of whites into the batter.  Then gently fold in remaining whites.  Pour into prepared pan and bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
 Then, enjoy!  We tried ours warm, but I think I would like it even better chilled.  It does have a definite lemon/orange taste--not a typical lemon flavor!
And there you have it--one little dream fulfilled.  That didn't take too long!  Now, onto the rest of the list . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment