Thursday, January 19, 2012

Don't Carpe Diem

Today I am sharing someone else's thoughts with you.  I don't read parenting magazines very often because I find them to be all the same and often the parenting tips they give can't even be applied to a rural lifestyle. 
(If you've met my children, you probably think I should read more parenting advice.  Just don't put your name on the Parents gift subscription card if you wish to remain anonymous!) :o) 
But once in awhile, I come across something and think, "Finally!  Thank you!  I've needed this!"
How many times as a parent have you heard, "Enjoy EVERY minute! It goes by so fast!" 
This wise advice is most likely to come when your children are at their naughtiest.  Bedtime is so very far away and the promise of kindergarten--even farther.  The problem is, as I've written before, that this well meaning advice can be a source of guilt and even a trigger for depression. 
Landen was just days old when I realized loving every minute of being a mom was going to be impossible.  Translated--I always wanted to be a mom and there I was--a failure and barely a week into it.  That feeling, combined with the normal crazy hormones, made me absolutely miserable.
After I learned that I perhaps had taken the "enjoy EVERY minute" advice a bit too literally, and sought some medical assistance, a huge weight was lifted.  I started to enjoy my baby boy even more when the pressure to enjoy him ALL of the time was gone.
That brings me to the link I am sharing today by Glennon Melton.  As a parent, you know what a blessing it is to have a healthy child.  At least I hope you do. 
I also hope you find this column helpful and appreciate her humor as I did. 
If you are having one of THOSE days as a parent today, feel free and
Don't Carpe Diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment