Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Who Can Turn the World on With Her Smile?

Mary Richards, of course! 
David and I took a little trip to Minneapolis this past weekend.  We both had been there several times, but neither of us had ever spent considerable time downtown. 
We came upon the Mary Tyler Moore statue Friday night as we were walking back to our hotel from The Shout House, (a great piano bar if you are ever in the area.)
I knew the statue was somewhere downtown and we just happened to stumble upon it!  I get excited about weird stuff like that.  (David had no idea who I was even talking about.  Was I surprised?  Um . . . no.)
A few years ago, some of my crazy aunts made the trip to Nicollet Mall and took pictures beside the statue, throwing their own hats into the air, as Mary did in the opening credits of the show. 
To David's relief, I stifled my excitement at finding this landmark and just kept walking. :o)

After 10 years, we travel pretty well together.  Some trips have been rather tricky with both of us being the responsible planning type. 
I have stopped organizing itineraries.  We tend to follow a pattern in our travels together--we eat lots of great food and spend most of our time walking and exploring the area we are visiting without a schedule.  We walked close to 5 miles Saturday alone.  Somehow that distance passes so much more quickly for me in the middle of a city! 
Over the weekend, we also saw the Spoonbridge & Cherry at the Sculpture Garden, laughed at the Acme Comedy Company, and caught a Twins victory.
Thanks to our wonderful parents and my sister back home keeping watch over the kiddos, I would say the weekend was a success.
And, just like Mary Richards, I think we "might just make it after all!"

No comments:

Post a Comment