Monday, July 26, 2010

Summer Reading

I uncovered an old friend this summer--my love of reading. Earlier this summer, my college friend Michelle posted on Facebook that she really liked the novel The Help by Kathryn Stockett.
I hadn't read a novel in awhile and thought I'd like to, so I went online and ordered it, not knowing anything about it at all other than its title. As soon as it arrived and I began reading it, I could barely put it down! It is about 1950's-60's Mississippi, the black "help" and the white families they served. I really, really loved it--both the story and how beautifully it was written.

I also ordered Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum at the same time. I finished the fictional novel about WWII Germany and the Holocaust last night. This one was equally well written, although often necessarily unpleasant to read as required by the subject matter.

As I turned the last page on Those Who Save Us, I thought back to watching Schindler's List and touring the expansive Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. in high school. I am deeply grateful for having experienced them, but even then did not want to do it again. Now that I have children of my own, I am not sure I could make it through the museum without weeping the entire time. I am putting Those Who Save Us on that list as well--a worthy experience, but not something I want to experience repeatedly.
Next on my bedside book pile is Firely Lane by Kristin Hannah, another recommendation by Michelle. I can't wait to get started on it!

Along the same lines, have you seen the previews for the new Beezus & Ramona movie? My favorite book series as a very young reader was the Ramona series by Beverly Cleary. I have already bought the first three Ramona books to share with my children when they are a bit older. I am not sure how this new movie will relate, but I hope it does not disappoint.


I always appreciate book recommendations, so send some my way if you have any! Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. I just read "The Help" and "Firefly Lane" this summer as well. Recommendations from my neighbor Shelly. Enjoyed them both!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete