Sunday, April 25, 2010

Date Night

David and I saw the movie "Date Night" with Tina Fey and Steve Carell last night. I am still chuckling to myself about so many parts of the movie. Unlike some movies in which the husband and wife continually criticize each other for laughs, this movie is not like that at all. They are a married couple who genuinely love each other, but have gotten to that almost-but-not-quite-good-roomates stage in their relationship. They decide to break out of their usual date night routine and go into the city. You just have to see it to get the rest, but I will share one of my favorite parts.
At one point during their date, they are discussing their friends' upcoming separation. He asks her if she's ever fantasized about another man. "Ha," she answers, "if anything, I fantasize about being alone! Just on my worst day. . . I'd like to run away . . . get a hotel room just so I can sit in a room by myself and eat my lunch . . . with a Diet Sprite."
What a fantasy! I could SO relate.
I would never want to go back to before David & my children. Really--even on my worst day. But, if I were to fantasize, it would still not include ANOTHER man. I seriously do not know where cheating spouses get the physical energy much less the mental energy required to keep all of their stories straight.
If I had a man on the side, I don't think he would keep me around for long. I would probably show up at his house, sit in his recliner and fall asleep before 10pm. Oh, yeah. Pretty sexy.
Nope, my fantasy would be much like Claire Foster's. A sandwich and a Diet Sprite in a silent hotel room would be the ideal extra-marital affair. I would probably add a People magazine to spice it up a bit. No commitment. No worries that my secret would get out.
David would never have to know--until I returned home and needed help solving the People crossword puzzle.

1 comment: