Thursday, January 24, 2019

The Bars

If you ever overhear two Eureka alumni, who are probably within a decade either way of 40, catching up, the conversation will probably go something like this:

"How's your family?"
"Great!"
"Wow--it doesn't seem like we graduated that long ago."
"I know!"
"Hey. . . remember the peanut butter bars we used to have at school?"
"And the cookies!"
"And the peanut butter!"

. . . wistful sighs . . .

I have had several conversations like this over the past . . . um . . . 21 years. In fact, the hardest things to leave behind after graduation for many of us were the peanut butter bars, cookies and the peanut butter at school. It wasn't like the recipe was under lock and key or anything; I just got busy with life and forgot about it . . . until those conversations would arise.

I was looking through cookbooks a few months back and saw a recipe (in a book that I've had since college) that looked like it might be THE peanut butter bars. First I didn't have corn flakes, then I didn't have corn syrup. (I generally can't be trusted with Scotcheroo ingredients in the house.) I finally got my ingredients together and made them on January 6. Even after I made them, I still wasn't sure if it was IT. It sure tasted like them, but it had been so long that I didn't know for sure. Thankfully, I know the cook who submitted the recipe quite well. She confirmed that, yes, it was the same recipe. I was SO excited. It was a true EUREKA moment. Ha!


Unbaked Peanut Butter Brownies (Eureka School Peanut Butter Bars)

1 3/4 c. peanut butter
1 1/3 c. sugar
1 c. corn syrup
1/2 c. corn flakes
1 c. ground peanuts (can be chunky if you want)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix and heat peanut butter, syrup, salt and vanilla in a kettle and heat until lukewarm, stirring constantly. Mix corn flakes (crush slightly) and peanuts in large mixing bowl. Pour peanut butter syrup mixture over corn flakes/peanut mixture and mix together. (You can save on sticky dishes by pouring the flakes/peanuts into the warm kettle.) Press into a grease 9x13 pan.
Top with chocolate frosting. 

I mix 1/2 stick butter, about 2 cups powdered sugar, vanilla, milk, and about 1/2 cup cocoa to make mine. You can also use melted chocolate or peanut butter chips. I wouldn't recommend a can frosting though, if you want the true effect. 

Tomorrow . . . the Cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment