Friday, January 25, 2019

The Cookies

Oh, the Eureka School chocolate chip cookies. 
Let it be known that I have never met a chocolate chip cookie that I didn't like. However, it seemed the cookies that we had at the Eureka school were especially unique because no matter how many different recipes I tried, they never turned out like those did. 

It was about 5 years ago, maybe more, and probably after a conversation with fellow Eureka alumni, that I put out a request on Facebook if anyone had a similar recipe. I didn't get a response. After trying several different recipes, I eventually just gave up on finding it. (Yes, I suppose I could have put a bit more effort into something that had been one of my life's unanswered questions, but I can't devote my entire life to baking cookies. I had basketball games to go to, and probably at that time, diapers to change.) 

After I found the Peanut Butter Bars earlier this month, I was inspired to find the cookie recipe, too. I decided I would try one more time. After putting out the request on Facebook, I received a very similar recipe and later that day . . . the jackpot. The actual recipe.  The actual recipe makes 290 cookies. Here is 1/4 of that recipe--

Eureka School Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 7/8 cup oil
scant 1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
1 7/8 tsp soda
1 7/8 tsp vanilla
scant 4 1/2 cups flour
2 cups mini chocolate chips

(Tina's Tip--7/8 cups is 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons)

Bake at 375 for 10-12 min. A small scoop makes them Eureka School sized. :)

Both recipes that were shared with me are very similar, but I've found that whichever one you use, you need to follow the amounts exactly or they won't turn out quite right--still a delicious cookie--but just not the same.

Maybe you will be like some who have tried these and wondered where they have been all their lives. Maybe you will be like my kids who liked them, but wondered what the fuss was all about.

It was a fun week of reliving memories of good times in the Eureka School lunchroom. The hunt and discovery were just as memorable as taking that first pan of cookies out of the oven that finally, finally resembled the ones I had been searching for. 

And the peanut butter I mentioned yesterday? I'm quite certain that was government-issued peanut butter and syrup mixed together to stretch it farther. You should try that, too. And fold your bread over top to bottom--because that is the right way to do it. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment