Monday, February 1, 2016

How I love the Cities (and cupcakes) (and books)!

If you are on Facebook, you saw this display I posted Saturday after another amazing visit to the Angel Food Bakery and Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis.
This year's brunch order was Housemade Yogurt with Fresh Fruit and Walleye Hash.  My dining companions chose the Huevos Rancheros and Eggs Benedict. Many, many plates of the Lemon Ricotta Hotcakes passed by, but since I had already had them (and my friend Deb found the recipe on Pinterest), I decided on the walleye this year.  That, with a selection of cupcakes to take home, was a most. excellent. choice.
After leaving all the yummy-ness, the three of us traveled across the Mississippi River to the University of St. Thomas campus for the Well-Read Mom Conference.
If there's anything I love as much a food, it is WORDS and BOOKS!
We learned about the upcoming Frankenstein, from which I have taught a selection, but have never read the entire novel. There was also a live book discussion on Giants in the Earth, which I really do still recommend!
We were entertained by a portion of the Summit Singers from the University. (You can also find them on YouTube.) They were amazing! I brought a CD home for my kids as I knew they would love their rendition of "Shut Up and Dance With Me." (I was right.)
After that, we had a most delicious Italian dinner at Dianimo, a locally-owned Italian restaurant in Eagan.
Yes, how I love Minneapolis and St. Paul and the little bits of experiences I am able to pick up each time I visit, especially when the experiences include the essence of who I am as a reader, a writer, a foodie. (A polite way of saying that I love food a little too much!)
I can't wait to return next year!

To learn more about Well-Read Mom, click on the link.  It is a small non-profit organization created and based out of Crosby, MN. As a result of the efforts of one woman, her family and close friends, there are Well-Read Mom groups all over the country including women of all ages (being a mom is not a requirement.) Anyone can begin a group with as few as two people. The book list, summaries/reviews, a journal and discussion questions are provided with membership, which is around $35 a year for all of the materials. (As one speaker put it, that's like a bottle of salad dressing, and this will do you much more good than an old bottle of Hidden Valley in your refrigerator!) :)  The books are classic literature with Christian undertones and themes. Nearly all will challenge you. Some you will like; some you won't. But know this--if you are literate, you can read these books.
The results of these women coming together to discuss these books are simply amazing, as we heard again and again from those at the conference.


Marcie Stokman, the founder of Well-Read Mom, opened the afternoon with this quote.  

Yes, be who God meant you to be.
Reading great literature helps us find that person.



No comments:

Post a Comment