Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Magic & Memories

Magic bars have been around a long time. When I first told my mom about these delicious bars served at Lincoln Dining Hall at NSU in 1997, she knew exactly what I was talking about. (Why she was aware of these and yet never made them for me--even to this day--is a mystery . . . .) :)

Besides happy memories of finding magic bars in the serving line, these delicious little bars remind me of my friend Brian, who passed away following a car accident in 2001.
Brian was engaged to a friend of mine from Eureka. It was their Junior year, but just my Freshman year. At a time when eating alone was one of the worst things I could imagine, it thankfully worked out that Brian's schedule often coincided with mine and we would have lunch together.
Whenever there were magic bars, you could bet Brian would have a pile stacked up on his plastic tray. It's a reminder to me how something so simple in life can make an impact on another person.

I came across this recipe in the Northwestern Band Cookbook last weekend. (If you don't own one of these books, let me know!) I had never made them myself before. 
They are AWFUL-ly DELICIOUS and may rival the scotcheroo in terms of addictiveness.

Truth be told, I misread the recipe and used 1 1/2 cups  of coconut, so there is a little extra on top. Next time I will pour the condensed milk over all, too, so that it all gets gooey together.
No matter how you pour it in the pan, as my mom would say, "It will still taste good!"



Magic Bars
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter
1 (14oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cup coconut

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread crumbs in 9x13 pan. Cover with rest of ingredients. Bake 25 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment