Monday, September 28, 2015

Gypsy Day!

Saturday was the 100th Gypsy Day for my alma mater, Northern State University.
Our day started early as the girls and I dropped Landen off at school to meet the bus. We had a few (yes, actually just a few!) things to pick up at Walmart, so we did that before we went to the Gypsy Day parade. All was moving along fine until I looked in my purse to pay and --little moment of panic-- no credit card.  Hmm . . . no time to wonder where it is. 
Not enough cash . . . ok, write a check. 
Great idea, except you gave your pen to Teresa last week!  
Ask the cashier.
He doesn't have one either because no one writes checks anymore!
Now he is looking to the checkouts on either side of him, too. 
Look, look, look. . . nope, that's a pencil.
Then I hear a nice man beside me say, (something to the effect), "I have a pen you can borrow."
I look to my left and see none other than my high school idol and local celebrity of his NSU days.
If you know me, you know who I'm talking about.
Well, if there's a way to make a 36 year old woman immediately rewind to 16, the best way to do that would be to hand her a pen.
I thanked him very much and wrote my check as quickly as I could (because I didn't want to blush as I remembered that embarrassing fan letter I wrote him circa 1995).
Got the check written, pen returned with a gracious thank you, and the girls and I were on our way--calm, cool, not blushing.
Until he met me at the entrance with one final item I had left on the baggage carousel. 
Oops.

Then we were off to the "horse parade," as Rachel called it because our final word of advice to Landen was the #1 rule of marching--March THROUGH the horse poop.  Only rookies step over it.

I know I've told you all about the EHS glory days there. This year it was time to pass the baton onto my son.
In the end, they received a Silver Rating. They all looked and sounded great playing "Uptown Funk" and "Bang, Bang."


As the parade came to a close, I reached to my back pocket and found--my credit card!





Rachel and her puppy had to take a break while waiting for Landen to march by.

My boys have been infiltrated by the SDSU alumni of the family, but so far I still have my Teresa who says she is going to be a WOLF. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment