Saturday, March 28, 2015

Quiet

I decided to purchase a book to read on our vacation because my top priorities, as well as spend time with my awesome husband, were to
1. Sit on the beach.
2. Read 
3. Eat delicious food.

Mission accomplished for all!

I went though a whole long list of Kindle books and ultimately decided on Quiet The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. I am so glad I had the time to read this!  I not only learned a lot about the world and how different countries value extroversion and introversion, but I also learned a lot about myself.

In describing myself, I've often been conflicted.  I clearly prefer quieter environments, small groups of people, to work independently, and am not afraid of solitude. In fact, as I've mentioned before, I need solitude to gather myself and recharge after being around people for a long time.  This does not mean, however, that I am anti-social.  I love to be around people, to talk, laugh, and enjoy the company of others.
As it turns out after reading this book, I can be both!

Some quotes I found to be highlight-worthy:

Introverts are drawn to the inner world of thought and feeling, said (Psychologist Carl) Jung, extroverts to the external life of people and activities. Introverts focus on the meaning they make of the events swirling around them; extroverts plunge into the events themselves. Introverts recharge their batteries by being alone; extroverts need to recharge when they don't socialize enough.  

And a few pages later . . .

Your typical introvert would rather spend her vacation reading on the beach . . . .

This book is quite long, 263 pages, and since the author is a consultant for businesses, most of the book covers aspects of how best to relate to extroverts and introverts in the work force.

The greatest thing I took away from this book is that being an introvert is not a form of disability, as our modern American society often suggests.  In fact, other countries view introversion as a strength to be attained.

Whether extrovert or introvert, I recommend this book to learn more about yourself and the extroverts and introverts in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment