Friday, May 16, 2014

Sweet Currency

When it came time for my garden plot to get tilled, I knew the perfect way to pay our neighbor/cousin for bringing over his tractor and tiller--a homemade Sour Cream Raisin Pie.  Landen and I created a beautiful work of art with a cloud of meringue covering the top.  Our empty pie place was returned with the review of a "mighty fine pie."

I really do love making pies and I consider them a work of art.  David, who hardly ever requests anything special from the kitchen, recently requested a strawberry pie.  I had never made a strawberry pie, so I consulted my Pillsbury Cookbook for help.  I think my sous chef, Rachel, and I did a pretty nice job on this one, too.  We haven't tried it yet, but all of the components were yummy, so we're calling it a success a little early.

Start with a frozen pie shell that you have baked or make your own Press-in-the-Pan Crust using 1/2 cup oil and 1/4 cup milk (combined) and add 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt.  Mix together and press into a 9" pie plate.  Prick the bottom and sides of the shell generously with a fork.  (Obviously, I forgot that step this morning as mine became a bit cracked.  I filled it with strawberries, so no one will know!)  You may also flute the edges or leave it rustic (as I did).
Bake in a preheated oven at 425 for 12-17 minutes.  Cool 30 minutes or until completely cooled.


For the filling, in a small bowl, crush enough strawberries to make one cup.  In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and 3 T cornstarch; add crushed strawberries and 1/2 cup water.  Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.  (This may also be done in the microwave, checking and stirring every 2 minutes).  Stir in 4-5 drops red food color if desired (I did not).  Cool 30 minutes or until completely cooled.
Place 5 cups whole or sliced strawberries in cooled baked shell.  Pour cooked strawberry mixture evenly over berries; refrigerate 3 hours or until set.  Serve with whipped cream and store in refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment