Thursday, January 23, 2014

Baton Rouge

My mom and I had a great time on our little trip to Baton Rouge to visit my Aunt Carol.  Of course, the absence of my Uncle Sonny was felt often, but we still had the best time we could.  As Carol said, he was always having fun, and he would still want us to have fun.  And we did.
 
I enjoyed the local fare while we were there--a catfish po'boy (AKA a sub sandwich), boiled shimp (not the first time I have had Gulf shrimp, but the first time they were served to me with their eyes and legs still attached!), crab cakes, boudain balls (fried Louisiana sausage), red beans and rice, seafood pasta . . . and I brought home a big King Cake, since it is Mardi Gras season! 
 
On Sunday, we drove to a town called New Roads to a great historic restaurant, Satterfield's.  We had a beautiful dinner on the False River, a manmade branch of the Mississippi River.  It turned into quite the road trip, as it was only 30 miles from Baton Rouge and took us several hours to find it, but the tour of rural Louisiana was beautiful so we didn't mind.
 
Now it is back to the normal routine again.  We had an extra day of "vacation" yesterday as the kids were granted another snow day! 
 
I much prefer temps in the 60's.  :)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment