Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Granola Bars

Alright . . . the inside of our house is starting to get old AGAIN!  So, the girls and I have started getting creative in the kitchen.
Today's project was Granola Bars.  I intended to make a more healthy recipe, but as it turned out, I didn't have all of the healthier ingredients that I needed.
So, I found this recipe on allrecipes.com.  They are still pretty healthy for a baked treat, especially if you use fat-free sweetened condensed milk.  I read in the reviews that the butter can be left out, too, without affecting the end product. 
What I like about this recipe is that it is very versatile.  Basically, add 3 cups of quick oats and then 3 cups of whatever else you like in your granola bars.  I did not add the coconut or raisins this time, and we used some Easter M&M's for instead of the chocolate chips.
You do need to use quick oats, since they are not baked for long and you will want the oats to be soft.

Granola Bars

3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 T butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins or Craisins, etc. 

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, mix the ingredients together until blended.  Press flat into a greased 9x13 pan.  Bake for 20 minutes for soft bars or 25 minutes for crunchier bars.  Let cool for 5 minutes, cut and then cool completely before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment