Monday, April 8, 2013

Lazy Halupsie

There are some comfort foods that I suppose you have to grow up with to appreciate, like pigs in a blanket.  And I'm not talking about hot dogs wrapped in bread--those are delicious to ANYBODY.  I'm talking hamburger and rice wrapped in cabbage and topped with ketchup.  My German people call it Halupsie.  It's not for everyone, but it's comfort food to me!

As our family has grown, I have resorted to the Lazy version, which tastes the same and is easier for the kids to eat, too.  I have started all of them out on this early on (for David, early on in our marriage), so by now they appreciate it, too.

I was going to post a picture, but it really isn't a pretty dish. . . and then I was too lazy to get my camera.  It still tastes good, though!  Trust me. :)

I split this up into two batches.  I cook both and then freeze one to heat up later.

Lazy Halupsie

2 lbs hamburger, browned with onion
1 cup rice
1 small-medium head cabbage, shredded

Layer in a greased roaster or split between two greased casseroles. 

1 can tomato soup
1 can water
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Mix and pour over the top.

Bake at 350 for one hour.  You may also make it in a Crockpot on high for 4-5 hours.  In my opinion, it has to be eaten with ketchup.

Oh, so good and so comforting as we hunker down for ANOTHER winter storm!!  The boys are hoping to squeak out just one more snow day!

No comments:

Post a Comment