Saturday, November 20, 2010

Platchinda

After I sent the boys out hunting this morning, I wanted to do one of two things today--shopping or baking. Shopping was not going to happen (except for my exciting trip to the grocery store), so baking it was!
I decided to try my hand at an old German specialty--Platchinda. I'm not sure what that literally translates to, but it is a pumpkin turnover. My Grandma Joachim made the best and I know I will have to practice many more times to replicate hers.
Mine did turn out pretty tasty. If you've never had an authentic platchinda, you would think it to be great. The smell and taste brought back yummy memories of being a little girl in Grandma's kitchen. I'm going to send a few back with my dad to give to her. I hope she likes them--and maybe she can give me some pointers for next time!
Platchinda


Make dough of:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup cream

Filling:
2 cups (1 can) pumpkin
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves

Roll dough out for one at a time on a floured surface (about 4 inches in diameter). Put filling in each and seal edges. Bake at 250 for about 25 minutes. Makes about 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment