Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Family Favorite Pumpkin Pie

Just in time for Thanksgiving . . . it's my top secret pumpkin pie recipe!
OK, so it's not THAT secret. I took it from the back of a Festal pumpkin can in the mid-1990's. (The time Landen calls "way back then.")
That first pumpkin pie was such a success that "my" pumpkin pie is still requested at family holidays.
I think the secret is using both white and brown sugar. The original recipe said to use one or the other, so I split it between the two. This recipe calls for more sugar than some other recipes do. Both of my grandmas bake by the motto, "Never skimp on the sugar!" I trust them.
The use of nutmeg makes a big difference in taste, too. Cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg should ALL be in a pumpkin pie. (In my professional opinion, anyway!)
And, so, here it is!
Family Favorite Pumpkin Pie
1 can unsweetened pumpkin
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 cup evaporated milk (or 2% works, too)
Combine eggs, sugar, salt and spices and beat well. Blend in pumpkin. Add milk and beat well. Turn into unbaked pie crust. Bake at 450 fro 10 minutes, then reduce heat and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Pie is done when knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Isn't it pretty? Thanks to my mom-in-law for the pumpkin pie plate. :o)
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment