Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Dilly Roast Beef

Wheat harvest is in full swing--on the downward swing, actually--and that means I have been spending even more time than usual in the kitchen!
For some reason, those peaches I was admiring on Sunday seemed to multiply in their boxes as the days went on. Even after canning 40 jars, making strawberry-peach jam, peach crisp, eating some, and freezing some, I was still left with about 1/2 box, or 30 peaches! So, today I spent my morning making another peach crisp (which went in the freezer to be enjoyed later), peach bread, and puree to freeze for peach bread in the future. I am now down to 5 peaches. Yeah! I really do love peaches, but it was getting a little ridiculous around here! Have you seen that "Everybody Loves Raymond" episode where Marie is stressed because she has too many pears? That's how I was starting to feel about peaches! Next year I will be more aware of when wheat harvest will be happening before I take on such a huge peach project. I may narrow it down some, to maybe two boxes. :o)
Anyway, back to wheat harvest. My main job during harvest is keeping the field workers fed. I wrote about the traditional Melius lunch last year--bologna sandwiches, the Pepsi float, etc. It's still the same this year!
The noon meal allows for a little more creativity, but beef is still the meat of choice. Today we had Dilly Roast Beef. My friend Sarah shared this recipe with me a few years ago. I've tweaked it some, meaning that I replaced the measurements with "abouts." It tastes delicious every time! You really can't mess it up!
Dilly Roast Beef
1 beef roast (Chuck roast works especially well, since the pickle juice tenderizes it. If you have room in your roaster, make 2 roasts and save one for leftovers.)
About 1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 jar chili sauce
1 jar dill pickles (The original recipe called for a small jar, but I always use a big jar.)
Cook in a crock pot on low for 8-10 hours or in the oven for 3-4 hours at 325. Before serving, discard pickles. Slice roast and pour some of the juice over the meat before serving.
This is good served as a traditional roast and in sandwiches. My leftovers will turn into BBQ roast beef sandwiches tomorrow. Shh. . . don't tell the guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment