Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mixed Feelings

In just a few days, we will be back to the routine of a new school year.
I am approaching our first day of school with mixed feelings as I usually do. On one hand, I do not want to give up our family's summer routine. We are usually all awake and out of bed by 7:30am, which is not sleeping in by any means, but it sure beats our 6:15am school year wake up time! Our kids go to bed at 8pm year round, so thankfully getting back into a bedtime routine is not an issue at all. As they have gotten older, the summer days do not drag on for me as they sometimes used to. This summer has been especially nice as it is the first that I have been able to let them all play outside by themselves. They all seem to have a homing device built in, so most often they check in with me before I have to look for them.
On the other hand, I am more than ready to wave goodbye to that big yellow bus next Tuesday morning. I am ready for a break from the brotherly bickering and fighting, even if that means Nathan moping around the house declaring over and over again that he misses his brother. Nathan will get his turn at bus riding and school this year, too, going two mornings a week. He has the advantage that I wished Landen had when he started--an older brother to look after him.
Landen will be in the 1st grade this year and he's excited for it; Nathan will be in Preschool. This parenting stuff is a bittersweet business. It seems my children are always taking the next step in growing up. I just get through all three closets with the appropriate size clothes and before I know it, I am swapping those out for the next larger sizes. While it is wonderful to see these changes, it can also be heartbreaking for this overly-sentimental mom.
I suppose it is time for me to brew a cup of coffee and snap out of it. The school year will start if we're ready or not. I better go set my alarm clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment