Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Whipped Cream--NOT to be Confused with Cool Whip

I never have cream in the house. Now I know why.
After looking for various recipes for peaches and rhubarb, I found many pies and desserts had cream in them.
I picked up a pint of whipping cream at the grocery store, but it never made it to a peach or rhubarb pie. I whipped it to serve over fresh peaches for dessert on Sunday. Oh my gosh--YUMMY!
I whipped the entire pint, and consequently had quite a bit extra, so I have been searching for things to cover in whipped cream ever since.
Whipped cream is very high in fat, but is the epitome of deliciousness. What could be creamier than cream blended with sugar, vanilla, and air? It is even better than ice cream. Besides that, it only takes three minutes or less to make.
My Grandpa Kallas, who was a dairy farmer for most of his life, still refuses to eat Cool Whip. He even corrects anyone who has the audacity to refer to Cool Whip as "whipped cream." I definitely see his point. No whipped oils and chemicals deserve that sacred title.
So, if you have a few calories and fat grams to spare, or even if you don't, pick up a pint of whipping cream the next time you are at the grocery store. Take it home, pour it in your mixer and whip it up with a little sugar and vanilla.
I promise you will not be disappointed--until you step back on that bathroom scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment