Friday, August 21, 2009

Birthday Time is Around the Corner!

Guess what season is just around the corner? Melius family birthday season, of course!
Through no real planning on David and my part, God decided that our three children would all have fall birthdays. I always joke with my sister-in-law Angela that David and I only see each other in the winter time, so that would make perfect sense. (That is also why David's grandma, who has been campaigning for a February great grandchild, should not expect one from us. May is planting and spraying time. No good for great grandchild making.)
Our kids' birthdays, combined with David and my own fall birthdays, make for a very festive few months around here each year. Landen starts it all off on September 1. Then comes David on October 5, Teresa on October 31, Nathan on November 3, and finally me on November 12. (Both of my last two babies at one time or another had my birthday as their due date, but Nathan decided to come early and my Dr. wanted to deliver tiny Teresa two weeks early.) It's just as well, so we can party all the more!
Melius family birthday parties can be small or quite large--usually 10 to 50 guests depending on other obligations. Thankfully these are not all child guests--parents are invited as well. :o) Some people's eyes get very wide when they hear that number, but it's something I love to do. It is a chance to see family and friends we otherwise do not get to see that often, even if we only live a few miles apart. The kids have fun together entertaining themselves, there is plenty of adult conversation, and everyone leaves with their tummies full of cake and ice cream. What I really love is that nothing is centered on the gifts. I really don't think our kids would even notice the lack of them as long as their friends were able to come and play. (Well, Landen will probably notice if mom and dad don't get him the truck he has been asking us for for MONTHS already.)
Nathan and Teresa will share their party as they get older, although each will get to choose their own cake and theme. Last year, however, we were still combining corn in November and that looks to be the case again this year. They both had several small celebrations as their grandparents/aunts/uncles were able to visit. I can't say they minded at all, but I missed having the big gathering.
David and I do not get the monster bash the kids get, but we do have "Melius coffee" with whomever is available to come on the day of our birthday and we usually have a meal with our families around the time of our birthdays, too.
Birthdays were always made special as I was growing up, and I want to make them that way for my children as well. It doesn't have to be big or cost a lot of money--I just want them to know that the day they joined our family will always be a very special day.
Landen's invitations just went out today, so it is time to plan what I am going to serve next Sunday for his party. Guess what theme he chose? John Deere--for the third time in his six years!

No comments:

Post a Comment