Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Phil 4:8 Focus #5 - Whatever is True

This week's focus is on Whatever is TRUE. The angle I would like to take with that is--
What is true RIGHT NOW?
This question is something I started asking myself regularly when we had to wait 6 months for Rachel's surgery in 2012. When I would get caught up in the details of that date and what recovery would look like or what the future would look like, I would often bring myself back with,
"What is true right now?"
I would be in the backyard with my kids, playing in the living room, feeding them lunch . . . normal everyday things. And it would bring me back to the day I was living in--not some day in the future that existed only in my imagination.  I may have had to ask myself the same question just a few minutes later, but it always reminded me of where I needed to be and the good in the present moment.
I have forgotten this strategy from time to time, and after quite a few months of anxiety last year, I was reminded of it after rereading "Unafraid," by Susie Davis. The first time I read it, I found it helpful. The second time through, I made it my own manual and wrote all over its pages. That's when it all really sunk in--and reminded me once again of what is TRUE. Not every moment is great, but even in the hardest moments, I still find that God has never failed to give me grace for that moment. Some days, it is easier to trust and believe this than others, but I always have to remember that what is TRUE doesn't change with what I may be feeling.

For this week, I am going to try (harder) to keep my focus on the TRUE here and now, appreciating the moments with my family and friends as we live them.

No comments:

Post a Comment