Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Phil 4:8 Focus #4 - Whatever is Pure

We all want things pure, right? Pure clean water, pure white snow, pure hearts . . . .

There are so many different ways we could think about Whatever is Pure this week (and you are certainly welcome to take a different approach), but I wanted to take a more practical approach to this one--adding purity to our homes through house cleaning.
I used to buy all sorts of cleaners for my home--window cleaners, bathroom cleaners, floor cleaners, all sorts of potentially harmful chemical cleaners. It has been awhile now--probably 10 years at least--that I left behind the chemical cleaners and started taking a more natural approach to housecleaning.
The first thing I started instead was using vinegar. Vinegar and water makes a great floor or counter cleaner. I still put cleaning vinegar in every rinse cycle of my laundry to deodorize and kill germs. Cleaning vinegar is slightly stronger and not meant to be consumed. I buy mine at my local Running's, because as my Dad says, "You can find everything at Runnings!"
At some point, I discovered Norwex and the ability to clean with microfiber and water only. It took me awhile to clean with JUST water, and sometimes (thanks to my discovery of essential oils,) I still use something else with my microfiber just to make things smell good--naturally.
I found this recipe for a natural cleaning spray and tweaked it a bit, as I do with most recipes. Its active germ-killing ingredient is not vinegar, but vodka! If you choose to mix your leftover vodka with some orange or cranberry juice after you are done cleaning, I will not judge!


Natural Cleaner

1/2 cup vodka
1 1/2 cups water
30 drops of essential oils of your choice (I like Lemon and Lavender, Thieves/OnGuard, Pine . . . whatever you prefer!)

Mix together and pour into a glass spray bottle. (Essential oils break down plastic.) This spray can also be used to freshen linens.

Phil 4:8 Focus # 4 -- Try this recipe in place of your normal counter or floor cleaner, or look for other ways to eliminate chemicals from your housecleaning routine to add PURITY to your home. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment