Thursday, September 25, 2014

Zucchini Bread

You already know that zucchini and I have a complicated relationship.
Well, maybe it's not all that complicated.  I like zucchini, just not 100 at a time.  One or two a year is fine with me.  The good thing about that is that it's always easy to find one or two (although sometimes difficult to convince those sharing that it's ALL I want). :)
Zucchini is interesting because it tastes like . . . nothing.  (Rachel was disappointed to find out that it does NOT taste like a cucumber.)  That makes it easy to hide in all sorts of things, and especially baked goods.  Even though it doesn't taste like much, it does add moisture to everything.  It's one of those ingredients I look forward to in the fall.
Here's one of my favorite zucchini recipes from my mom.

Zucchini Bread
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup oil
3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup nuts (optional)

Sift together salt, soda, cinnamon, baking powder and flour.  Beat eggs until light.  Add sugar and vanilla, oil, and mix well. Stir in grated zucchini. Add dry ingredients and blend.  Stir in nuts if desired.  Pour in 2 floured and greased bread pans or a greased and floured Bundt pan.  Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.  Cool before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment