Monday, December 2, 2013

My Uncle Sonny

My Uncle Sonny passed away this morning. 
I first met him when my parents took me along on their trip to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, when I was about 4 years old.  I instantly loved him.  He asked me what I wanted for breakfast, and after I requested tuna fish and bacon, that's what we had.  Even at a young age, the way to my heart was through yummy food. 
Shortly after we returned home from that trip, I began writing letters to Uncle Sonny and Aunt Carol, a practice that continues to this day.  I wrote more letters to them than anyone else in my life.  I shared all of the little and big things of growing up with them from my small town existence in South Dakota.  Sonny commented on the frequent smiley faces I would include, something I now do on my keyboard. :)
I only actually spent time with Sonny a handful of times.  He did not like to fly, so Aunt Carol would always come back to South Dakota each year alone.  When he did come back with her, it was always an event.  He would entertain my aunts and uncles with his comedy in my grandparents' kitchen, cook his fabulous southern seafood like NO ONE ELSE.  We talked too fast for his Southern drawl, but he adapted.  His presence was always a rare treat for us all.  A native of Mississippi, he gave us a different perspective on life. 
I had the wonderful privilege to attend Sonny's baptism and confirmation as he was received into full communion with the Catholic Church in 1999.  My mom, sister, grandparents, and I flew down to spend a long Easter weekend with them in Baton Rouge.  I will always treasure that time we spent together.  In typical Sonny fashion, it didn't matter that he had many responsibilities that weekend.  He asked each of us what we wanted to eat, wrote up a menu, and made sure each of us were adequately fed before our departure back to South Dakota. 
This is all too soon--it always is.  We knew his time was getting short.  I was hoping to get to see him one last time, but that time will have to wait until we get to the other side. 
I don't know if souls eat in heaven, but if they do, I am sure they are enjoying one huge and wonderful Southern feast today--shrimp at least four of five different ways, catfish, crawdads, black beans and rice, and hush puppies.  Maybe even tuna fish and bacon.
I love you, Uncle Sonny.
I will see you again.
And I'll have a menu ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment