Thursday, September 28, 2017

Happy.

It's Thursday.
I'm still happy.
Like I should be apologizing happy.
Last Friday's concert was so amazing from beginning to end . . . I'm still just in awe.
It's probably a good thing that Garth didn't actually body surf up to me and give me a big ol' hug, or I probably just would have fallen over right there and missed the entire show. 

Landen asked if that is what I expected would happen. 
--I told him 20 years ago, it could have.
He asked why Garth took the body surfing out of his show.
--I suggested because he is older and wiser now.
Landen's theory is that everyone would now be on their phones and drop him.
--Yes, a much better theory. I now blame the birth of the iPhone for the end of Garth body surfing in his live shows.

My Selfie :)

But, anyway, I'm not going to apologize, because I am convinced these desires and subsequent blessings are what God gives us to make life fun. Who knows why some dreams stay and some dreams leave as we go through this journey of life. 

Why was I able to so easily let go of the New Kids on the Block and my poofy junior high school hair, but still cling so tightly to the memories of Garth's music? Why does Garth's voice speak to my soul more than any other singer ever has? Why do I love the "new stuff" just as much as the "old stuff" and why does the "old stuff" never get old? How did I get blessed enough to have a husband who is willing to take me to any Garth concert within driving distance? And grandparents to watch our children? And while I'm on the topic . . . why do I ask my dog questions? Do I really expect her to answer? (Seriously, I wonder this about myself.)

Mostly, I am just in awe of God's surprises. Over these past decades, in the joys of daily life, in the disappointments, in the frustrations, the sometimes boredom of doing the same things day after day after day, washing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning up messes? You mean to tell me all those days when I wondered when my dream would come true, when I sat way up high in Target Center, (although SUPER THANKFUL to even have a ticket to be there!) and looked longingly at the left stage-side seats (no kidding), You were working on this all along?  In the couple of weeks before the concerts were announced last summer as David and I commented on how great it would be to go to a Garth concert again after three years? You held this desire of my heart, kept it safe for all these years, and presented this gift to me at the perfect time with my husband beside me. AMAZING.

It should come as no surprise that Garth Week has continued here for me, although he has moved on to Indianapolis. Much to the eye rolling of my children, I have now made an exception to the use of the word "ain't" in our home. My children are now allowed to use "Ain't" as long as it is immediately followed by "Going Down ('Til the Sun Comes Up)." :) Yesterday I painted my front deck to the Ultimate Hits. Today I switched between Gunslinger and the Garth Channel in my car. (The only two Sirius Radio stations I have saved in my car are the Catholic Channel and Garth Channel. See?  I wasn't kidding about my priorities!) :) 

Do I still want to make it to the front row someday? Of course! Actually meet Garth and give him a big ol' hug?  Yes! 

But, last Friday night will certainly hold me over until next time.

And it will remind me once again to trust in God's timing. 

He's got it all perfectly planned. In His time.





No comments:

Post a Comment