Friday, July 24, 2015

Hangin' Tough

There was a flutter on Facebook yesterday that it was the 25th anniversary of the release of New Kids on the Block's Hangin' Tough. Although a little research has refuted that fact, it is still a fun memory of my early adolescence to relive.

I was going through old CD's this morning and came upon the Hangin' Tough CD (my husband's--I only owned them on cassette tape). Teresa was excited to listen to it, but she just had one question.

Was one of the singers a girl?

She was referring to Joey McIntyre's "Please Don't Go Girl."
I assured her it was five boys, even if she still thought he sounded like a girl. :)

Ahh, the memories. We all had our favorites amongst Jordan, Jonathan, Joey, Danny and Donnie. All of us divided them up fairly evenly, too. I suppose it was so we wouldn't have to fight about who's heart belonged to who. I was a Jordan girl and my mom once came home from a shopping trip to Aberdeen with the most wonderful surprise of all--a Jordan Knight t-shirt.

Just like the Garth Brooks music that has run through my life, I could probably sing all of the songs on the Hangin' Tough album word for word as well.

Our family just saw the movie "Inside Out" this past weekend and there was a clever scene with memory cleaners taking out what wasn't needed anymore--most of four years of piano lessons for one. For some reason, those cleaners always leave the catchy songs behind.

I think that's a good thing as this one brings back wonderful memories of Girl Scout Drill Team (we had the RIGHT STUFF) and screaming our heads off for NKOTB at the 1990 (?) South Dakota State Fair (my first BIG CONCERT!!)  Yes, that would make the concert at least 25 years ago!

Yes, I am now to the age that my children sometimes laugh at my music.

But they are smart.  They know Garth Brooks always deserves respect. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment