Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rhubarb Oatmeal Muffins

My parents were so kind to bring rhubarb from my grandma's patch.  As a South Dakota girl, rhubarb is the signature fruit . . . er . . . vegetable from my roots.  My patch hasn't taken off, so I always appreciate a gift of rhubarb this time of year.  
My mom and I usually don't find our way past the kitchen when they visit, and this time was no exception. We found this recipe while the banana bars were baking.  It is a keeper.
 
Rhubarb Oatmeal Muffins
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup orange juice OR white grape juice
1 cup diced fresh OR frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
Topping:
1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 
In a mixing bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside.  In another bowl, combine egg, oil, and juice.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in rhubarb.  Fill greased or lined muffin cups 2/3 full.  Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over tops.  Bake at 250 for 18-20 min. Makes 1 dozen. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment