Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Happy Mom's Day

I was a very Happy Mother's Day here at the Melius farm. 
If I could have made it better, the father of the family would have been able to spend more of it with us, but corn must be grown and I sure wasn't getting around to getting it in the ground!   
I do believe that Mother's Day and my birthday are my favorite days of the year.  Those are the days that my children approach me as though a glowing angelic halo surrounds me.  OK, so maybe I'm not quite THAT special, but I did have toast and coffee made for me and laundry going before we left for church this morning!  That doesn't just happen every day.
Since our usual Sunday morning hangout was closed, (even Donna needs a day off now and then), I was treated to pizza for brunch and it was fabulous.  Then it was back home to farm life during planting season.  There is no "lazy Sunday/Mother's Day afternoon" in planting season.
But, we made the best of it anyway. Since days can really start to run together at busy times of the year like this, I wanted to do something out of the ordinary today. So, the kids and I spent the entire afternoon outside enjoying the beautiful day.
 
I had picked up some of these gorgeous gerbera daisies last week.  I know that every year they will have just one or two beautiful blooms, but I just couldn't pass them up! 
Look at that!  Could you say, "Umm, no, thank you.  I'll take a snapdragon, please," to that orange beauty staring you in the face???? 
Not I.  That's why I bought three . . . or four . . . I don't remember.  They were just so pretty!!!!!
 
My wonderful husband had already dumped a pile of dried manure on the flower bed. 
(That's right.  We don' have to BUY our manure in bags out here on the farm.) 
It still needed dirt, so the big 3 helped me do that, and Rachel carried the cat upside down around the yard. 
Everyone was happy.
Then we brought out the garden hose and started adding some moisture to our manure/black dirt concoction. 
It was about this time--as I had just paid my willing workers in ice cream handed through the kitchen window--that our resident farmer showed up.  He said our ground would need to dry off and get smoothed off again before we could plant our flowers.  Since he KIND OF is the expert on soil conditions around here, we decided to believe him.
It was then time, Nathan decided, to turn out attention to a wienie roast, which we did for our supper. Flowers will wait for another day.
Rachel's expression pretty much sums it up here.  She was dirty and covered in cat hair, roasted hot dog, popcorn and chocolate cake from her hot pink sun hat to her muddy little toes.
Does it get any better?
I don't think so.
 
I know that sometimes these enormous blessings can test my patience, wear me down, share their germs, and break my heart, but they are the BEST blessings EVER and I am so VERY grateful to have had them in my life.
 
God bless your week.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment