Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Last Week Recap

It's time for a recap.

Last week, I painted the downstairs toy room a nice, clean shade of gray.  (I know, I'm kind of into gray this year, and I haven't even read the books!)  :o)  Within hours of that, I came down with a little stomach bug that left me uncomfortable for a couple of days.  Just as I recovered, it was time for Parent-Teacher Conferences and a long weekend for the boys.  Of course, the weekend included a blizzard and an extra day off from school for the boys on Monday.  On Monday night, Rachel started with a croupy cough, which I always hate to hear because it sounds awful.  Just to make sure, I took her into the doctor yesterday and I was thankful that he made the same diagnosis--she sounds terrible, but her lungs are clear and she should be good as new in a couple of days.  The big three have been coughing and had been running intermittent fevers over the weekend, too.  I almost kept the boys home this morning, but when they came bounding up the stairs with their usual energy, I decided to equip them each with a dose of Cough & Cold and send them on their way.  Tonight it sounds like more wind is moving in again.  I appreciate a good blizzard now and again, but enough is enough! :o)

On a sad note, yesterday I found out that two great teachers had passed away.  Mr. Ronald Cooper, who taught science and chemistry classes in Eureka for at least two generations of students was 75.  I wouldn't say he was my favorite teacher, because as a high school student, I didn't understand his motivation-by-intimidation approach.  But, as an adult I have seen that he really was a great teacher expecting excellence from his students.  Mostly, I remember he always referred to his students as "people" which he said really quickly, only as Mr. Cooper could do.  One year, he told our class, "I'm going to crucify you people!"  Of course, that line eventually made us laugh, but at that point in our high school careers, we were sure he would do it!  He did have a kind spirit, though, as the thing I excelled at most in chemistry was breaking thermometers and flasks in labs.  He never, ever got angry with me.  I am thankful for his service to Eureka High School and the community.  He was a very intelligent teacher who later served as mayor of Eureka after his retirement.

Another teacher, Mrs. Deanna Mauck, taught an English methods class I took one semester at NSU.  She was just 64.  At the time, she was also teaching high school English at Roncalli, so we had to start our class at 7:45am to make sure she could get to the high school in time.  None of our little group of future English teachers minded since we enjoyed her and the class so much.  I used several of her techniques in my own classroom and still do in my writing (there is ALWAYS a more interesting word than "interesting") and even one in my parenting (sometimes you just have to look out the window and give yourself a mini-vacation).  :o)

Blessed be their memories.

Today is Ash Wednesday and we begin our journey of Lent.  A couple of weeks ago, Landen was preparing early and told me to save the 4-cheese pizzas for Lent.  Leave it to Landen to be concerned about the food supply of meatless options.  :o)

Let's end on a happy note today, shall we?

 
Rachel has found her legs!  It's hard to say when she took her "first" steps as she would take a few and then go back to crawling for several days or weeks.  But, last Friday she REALLY took off.  I think she was mostly just showing off for her friend Theresa who was visiting and who is a few months younger. :o)  It's fun to see her toddling around the house on her little unsteady legs, as it was with each of our toddlers.
 
And . . . that's the Melius recap for today!
  

1 comment:

  1. Laura
    Nicely said. Cooper would be so proud of the rememberance. The people I admired in the teaching field are no longer around to ask their opinion or just listen to another of their mini lectures and it saddens me.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete