Monday, June 18, 2012

Blessings along the Road

As it gets closer to the time to go to Mayo Clinic in Rochester with Rachel, I feel less fear (although still sometimes more than I want to) and more anticipation to meet Dr. Wetjen and Dr. Bite, the neurosurgeon and plastic surgeon who will be operating on Rachel's skull.  It really helped to see that video made by Dr. Wetjen several weeks ago.  I would have many more unanswered questions if it weren't for that huge gift from God that day when I needed it most.
I hear over and over again (and tell myself over and over again) that we will be in some of the best medical hands in the world.  I know there are many who would love to have access to such care.  I am thankful beyond words to our Lord that He has provided us with the means to have good medical insurance and the funds to travel.  I sometimes complain that there is not much here in the midwest, but it seems for once living in the midwest is paying off.  We are only about 7 hours from Rochester.  My friend Cathy said they met people there who travel from countries like Israel for their annual physicals! 
I am also SO very thankful for the many prayers said for Rachel.  I know this could be SO much more major, but prayers are always appreciated no matter what.  My friend Rose even placed her on the prayer list with the nuns in Alexandria, SD.  Not only will she be in great medical hands, but in spiritual hands as well.  Thank you!
I feel like our family has been so truly, truly blessed even when I am feeling anxious.  So much that I am completely overwhelmed by God's unending love.  None of us deserve any of the good that we have.  It is ALL a wonderful GIFT! 
Despite all of this, I was still  kind of intimidated by this huge place.  So, what did God do?  He sent another friend to help me through.  Another Catholic Mom, Bam, will be arriving at Mayo on July 9 for another round of treatments for her husband's leukemia.  (He has spent several weeks there and is improving with treatment.)  Now, I don't want ANYONE to have cancer, but I'm thankful the dates will line up so we can hopefully meet.  I am also looking forward to meeting Sarah, the nurse I mentioned earlier, and we will see my cousin Kevin and meet his fiance Christine, who is also a nurse at Mayo.  David says that Mayo Clinic isn't a "cool place to know people," but it would be so much more difficult for me if I didn't have at least some connection.  If nothing else, conversing with these women through Facebook has been a good distraction for the time being.
So, for these blessings and all of the blessings I don't even realize, I am so thankful today.  The sun is shining and it is a great day to catch some rays!
Blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment