Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Invisible Jobs

On Sunday, I subbed for our regular parish organist, which I do from time to time. 

As I got to page 3 of the Gloria, I realized I was looking at page 3 of the Holy, Holy.  Oops!  The rest of the parish and choir continued on for a few lines until I found the right page and finished the song.

After mass, I mentioned it to David. He answered that he didn't want to say he hadn't noticed.  The piano is something you aren't supposed to notice. That's a good thing, right? And, he continued, come to think of it--that's what I do every day--jobs that people aren't supposed to notice.  He was absolutely right. It's not a bad thing . . . it's just what it is. 

Everyone expects the piano to play the background music--and they only really notice it if it stops or if it plays at the wrong time. 

Everyone wants a clean house and clean laundry, but they only notice if the floor is sticky or they are missing socks. (This has happened a few times these past few weeks as my focus was on painting instead of laundry!) 

Everyone wants a warm meal on the table at the appropriate time. If that doesn't happen, something is terribly wrong. . . or mom is in Aberdeen running errands. :)

Everyone wants my children to behave in public. But it reflects on me when they don't.

Everyone wants an error-free newspaper, and they don't notice the 50+ things the other proof reader and I catch each week. They notice the one we missed.

I'm not complaining because I really love all that I do. (Have I mentioned I am currently living my dream job--a stay-at-home mom with kids in school?  Life isn't any less busy, but it is pretty sweet right now.) :)  

There are so many jobs people do behind the scenes that keep our world running smoothly. I know I overlook these people and the jobs they do all of the time. Let's work at being more attentive and thank them for the talents they provide. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment