Friday, August 31, 2018

Pray for us.



As the news of the abuse scandals cover our news and social media and numbers grow worse day after day, it can be easy for us all to despair. 

If you ask me how I feel about these revelations that are finally coming to light, I ask you in return, "What are you truly asking me?" 

Are you asking me how I feel about unspeakable, horrendous abuse and corruption? 

Or are you asking me how I feel about the Catholic Church?  

I hope you would know my answer to the first question. 

And, I hope you would know my answer to the second as well. If you do not, here is my answer:


It is truly unsettling that such evil existed, and was tolerated, for so long in a place that should be safe in this world. 
In turn, it is equally unsettling that the revelation of this evil now potentially has the power to drive a deeper wedge into Christ's Christian Church on earth, and so Satan's work has the opportunity to continue in a different way.

I don't know if you realize this, but if you are Christian, we are on the same team.

If a member of your team discovers a cancer has been overtaking his or her own body, through no fault of their own, how do you respond?

With condemnation?

Or do you show compassion and pray for them to aid in their healing?

As Catholics and Christians, we should be grateful that this evil has been brought to light. It can only be eradicated in the light. The Catholic Church on earth will become smaller, but it will become brighter. And I will still be here, either in the Church Militant, the Church Penitent, or the Church Triumphant, when it does. 

Please keep our priests in your prayers. The thousands of good men who have sacrificed and devoted their lives to honestly and wholeheartedly shepherd Christ's Church are now weighted down by the burden of horrible sins committed by others. These holy men don't deserve your condemnation, suspicion or criticism. They urgently need your prayers.

Likewise, please keep your Catholic brothers and sisters in your prayers. We are hurting so much. But for those of us who are Catholic for the reasons above, we love the Catholic Church. Although many may choose to leave, those of us whose faith is in Jesus and the Sacraments, we are not looking for a place to escape. We know we are Catholic at this time and placed in this generation so that we can help the Church we love with all our hearts to shine brighter after this time of painful purification.

And it will.

 I ask you to help in our healing.

For my Catholic friends, I urge you not to despair. 

To quote a great priest who now enjoys eternal life, "The choice is yours. Choose well."
-Fr. Todd Reitmeyer


"Clean Heart" by Matt Maher

Woke up this morning
The whole world was yelling
I wish I was dreaming
Of all that we've been through
My soul has been searching
For some deeper meaning
I know there's a kindness
That leads me to the truth

When everybody's looking for another fight
When trouble's on the rise, no end in sight
Oh Savior, won't You come and make the wrong things right
Let me be the place You start
Give me a clean heart

What is forgiveness if it isn’t given
We measure our mercy
When mercy is a flood
Give us a vision
Your eyes of compassion
In all this division
May we be known by our love

No comments:

Post a Comment