Saturday, May 26, 2018

A door to the past . . .

We found several family treasures as we cleaned out the old garage attic. Among my favorites are the old window frames--and this screen door, which is from the side of the original farm house.
As David dropped items below to Nathan and me, we had to think fast about what we wanted to keep and about what had to go. I instantly had to keep this door, thinking that I would paint it a fun color and put it in my perennial garden.


It made it to the garden, but I just couldn't paint it when I saw this . . . 


the wearing of working hands throughout the years. 


How many times was this handle grabbed by David's great-grandpa after a hard day of farming?
By his great-grandma coming in from doing laundry or butchering chickens?
By their children, tired from working or playing on their farm, or just because they wanted to say, "Moommm!" 
(I know children did this even back then, as David's grandma Rosemarie shared with me during our many coffee talks.)

And, so the door will stay as it is, to remind us of where this farm and family have come from and where we are going.

I wish you a beautiful Memorial Day weekend as we remember our loved ones and embrace the moments we have with those we are blessed to have with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment