Wednesday, November 25, 2015

'Twas the Day Before Thanksgiving

Here we are!  This, as I say every year, is one of my favorite days of the year.  I love this day of cooking and preparing my favorite fall feast favorites!  It is also a day of anticipation for the holiday to come--the family, games, Black Friday plans, and homemade apple cider (to which our favorite Captain is always invited to make an appearance). :)
I truly have much to be thankful this year, besides the BIGGEST blessings of family, friends, faith, our health, safety, and our home.

What else am I thankful for?

A new niece that we will meet this Sunday!  Hannah Faith was born last Sunday and will be baptized this weekend.

David's grandparents celebrate their 60th anniversary this week as well!  I am so thankful for my grandparents, who I do not get to see nearly often enough. They still continue to teach me lessons every time we are together.

OK, I already mentioned my friends, but they have to be mentioned again.  I am so very thankful that my friends' mom Marilyn is continuing to recover after her miraculous, really, survival from their September car accident. Never, ever give up hope. Thank you for that important lesson, Marilyn.  I think good stubborn German genes help, too!  And for all of my friends. God gives each of us quite the survival kit to navigate this tricky life on earth and I am so blessed by you.

Adele's new album.  I was a fan of the songs from her first album, 21, although I never bought it.  I bought 25 last week and--wow--close to vocal perfection. The subject matter is also timely, with the theme of growing up past childhood and letting go of what used to be.  I spent most of my year 36 with those thoughts and feelings, of times and responsibilities changing.  Am I that much more immature that it took me 11 more years than Adele to realize this?  I think I was just too busy having babies at the time!

Cooking kids. Landen made lunch today and Nathan handled tomorrow's special cranberry sauce. We made our own recipe because . . . well, why not?

Oven bags and slow cooker liners . . . I know I mentioned these last week, but I really do sing their praises every time I lift them out of a pan and throw them in the trash.

UNO. This card game is revived every once in awhile.  Now we're all old enough to play, even if we don't all use strategy. :)  You better be ready to say UNO if you play with the Melius family!  My kids show no mercy.

Amazon Smile. It's easy to donate .5% to your favorite charity if you go through smile.amazon.com, which has the exact same stuff as Amazon.  Our favorite, Cranio Care Bears, has already earned over $1,100 through this program.  (David asked it that was from MY shopping only.  I assured him that I was not THAT great of an Amazon shopper, although our mail carrier may disagree.)  There are many charities to choose from and you can always change to a different one, too.

Wednesday nights. There's "church school," and after our return home, "Survivor" night with my husband. Red wine and popcorn.  I love our mid-week "dates." "The Profit" night on Tuesday is a close second, and then there's "The Middle," which continues to be my life in a 30 minute episode every week!

And . . . is it too soon?  Christmas card season!  I love sending them and getting them.  Stamps are purchased, although the Christmas letter is still yet to be penned.

One more thing before Thanksgiving break . . . Nathan and my super special cranberry sauce!

1 cup orange juice
1 cup white sugar
(Dissolve sugar in juice in a saucepan.)
1 bag fresh cranberries, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 cup frozen raspberries

Cook until mixture comes to a boil and cranberries start to pop.  Remove from heat, cool, and pour into a serving bowl. Refrigerate until Thanksgiving.







No comments:

Post a Comment