Monday, June 22, 2015

Summer off the beaten path

For the Melius summer, this summer is the summer of little trips.
No big vacations are planned, but we do have plenty of mini-fun available to fill our extra days.

One thing we have done already this summer is venture off the beaten path.  The first stop is actually quite embarrassing. Wecota is about 10 miles from where I live. It is a mile off Highway 20, and although I have driven past it hundreds of times, I had never had a reason to drive into the actual town. One day Nathan asked to see it as we drove by, and I figured it was probably about time anyway!  I had heard of their great town sign before, and I took a photo to share with you all as well.


We spent Saturday at David's cousin's wedding and yesterday with his aunt and uncle at their farm. We adults took a Sunday afternoon drive around the Oldham and Carthage area, near Howard, SD. (I can't tell you exactly where we were because I was thoroughly lost by the end!) As we approached Carthage, I mentioned that I had never been to that town.  Dann and Michele gave us the grand tour, and for a tiny town, it offers quite a lot! There is the Straw Bale Built Museum, a beautiful lake and parks, and the Cabaret bar, where parts of the 2006 movie Into the Wild was filmed. We stopped to check out some of the photos and memorabilia from the filming. 
This photo is obviously courtesy of Carthage.


On our way home, we had content passengers, so we took a few gravel roads as we got closer to home. We came upon this unexpected old gas station in Crandall, SD.


One just never knows what they will find in South Dakota when they venture off and explore.


No comments:

Post a Comment