Friday, April 8, 2011

Sweet Treat

Some foods don't leave room for just liking them--you either love them or hate them.  Sauerkraut comes to mind.  (Mmm.)  As does horseradish. (Blech!)
And then there are bananas.  Whenever bananas come up in conversation, there are those who smile longingly as they start to picture banana bread and all yummy things banana and those who start to gag in the corner of the room. 
My sister has about a five-minute window for optimum banana enjoyment.  My kids are fine as long as they are not brown on the inside and they can eat them "like a monkey" (with the peel still on the bottom).  Unless they are still green or extremely mushy, I'm fine with a banana at just about any stage of the game. 
Why all this banana talk?
I was making lunch one day and noticed the only fresh fruit I had to serve were bananas.  I can put a bunch of bananas on the table at breakfast, but if I tried that at lunch, I may get a funny look from my husband.  (I can hear him already, "What's with the bunch of bananas next to the casserole?")  :o)
With lunch time approaching, I decided to cut them up in a bowl and make them a little more exciting.  I drizzled a little honey on top and sprinkled them with cinnamon.  The idea was a winner with everyone!  We've had bananas this way several times since.  Now the only thing this dish needs is a catchy name--I'll put Nathan on that. 
P.S.  Frozen bananas make a great ice cream fakeout.  Drizzle a little chocolate on top of a sliced frozen banana, add a few peanuts for a little salt . . . yum!

That's all for today.  Go bananas this weekend! 

(I know . . . that was bad . . . but it was just too easy.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that sounds so good! I'll have to remember to stick some bananas in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete